Sunday, September 6, 2009

Chapter 17: Chew Toy

I woke up to the sound of the alarm going off, much too early; or at least that’s how it felt. I sighed and rolled over, dangling my feet off the edge of the bed, my mind wandering back over the last two days.
I hadn’t seen anyone since my run-in with Sidney, and now, Karri wasn’t even returning my phone calls. What did I do? I kept asking myself, unable to find the answer.
I let out one last huff before I pushed myself out of bed; I wasn’t even looking forward to the hockey game tonight… what a pitiful individual I was becoming.


We boarded the plane for Tampa at noon; the boys talking excitedly about our weekend south. I played some SOCOM with Flower, Geno, Tanger, TK and Staalsy; but my attention was more focused on Sidney. He was reclined back in his seat, a smug look on his face; a smug look that I took to mean one thing. Well, at least I know that she’s not calling me because she doesn’t want to talk to me…
Sidney glanced at me and couldn’t help but give me a smug smile back; if he told Karri not to talk to me, then he obviously knows she likes me… That thought was more than enough to get me through a few days of not talking to her. We had a home game on Monday, and I knew she’d be there.
“Come on Talbot! DAMNIT!” Flower called from somewhere behind me. “Pay attention… you’re running around like an idiot and making us loose.”

“Ha! Like you Frenchies could ever beat us!” Staalsy yelled out, earning laughs of approval from Geno and TK.

“He have bad hands in game too…” Geno quipped in broken English.

“Shut up Geno.” I sulked, before adding, “your girlfriend doesn’t have a problem with how I use my hands…” This got the attention of the fully plane; causing everyone except Sid and Geno to break out in hysterics.

“Oh come on Geno, you know he’s only kidding!” Flower said, slapping the bad tempered Russian on the back. I shrugged at his words, turning back around in my seat and catching Sidney’s eyes once more. I shot him a grin before turning around and looking out the window.


We had won our game against Tampa on Friday, and the one against the Panthers on Saturday; which was good. Sidney was in a much better mood that usual come Monday, and I was hoping that would mean some leeway where Karri was concerned.
I was standing in the hallway, fully dressed and waiting for Flower, when I saw her.
“Well if it isn’t little Maxime Talbot!” She laughed in her sing-song voice, coming up beside me.

“Hey now!” I laughed back, “who are you calling little?”

“You of course, trust me I’ve heard stories-”

“Everyone of ’em, lies!” I cut her off before pulling her into a tight hug. “How have you been Monique?”

I looked down at my ex-girlfriend; leaning against me in stilettos and still not reaching to my chin. “I’ve been good, I won’t even bother asking how you’ve been… big time NHLer.”

I chuckled and let her go. “So what brings you to Pittsburgh?”

“Done of school, and was lucky enough to get hired by the Penguins..”

“NO WAY!” I threw my hand up to high-five her; before realizing how much of a tool I looked like. She laughed and tried to reach for my hand, unable to jump that high. “So wait, you’re medical right?”

“Yep, and I start tonight so… wish me luck!” I threw my arm around her shoulders and led her into the dressing room before she could stop me.

“Alright guys, listen up!” I called out to the rest of my team. “This is Moni… also known as Monique… she just got hired for our medical-team. She’s a good friend from back home so you better be nice!” I felt her cringe beside me as I gave her a one-armed hug and led her around the dressing room.



“See, they’re not so bad!” I said quietly, poking her while as I lined up in the hallway with the rest of the guys.

She gave me a crooked grin and made to leave. “Oh hey,” She stopped and glanced at me over her shoulder. “You wanna grab something to eat… after you’re done?”

“Yah!” I smiled at her, “sure… sounds good.”


We lost the game 3-1; I had an assist though, so it wasn’t a total bust.
I met up with Moni as soon as I was done changing, and headed out towards the lounge. She was excited and talkative; it was easy to remember why we had gotten along so good in the past. The break-up? She wanted to get married, have the kids, the white-picket fence; we both knew that wouldn’t happen with me.
I saw Karri from across the room and she gave me a weak smile. “Hey, Moni. Come here, there’s someone I want you to meet.” We headed towards Karri; Vero and Flower standing diligently beside her. “Hey guys, this is Moni; she’s working with our medical team now.” I introduced her to Vero and Karri, pleased with the look in Karri’s eyes when she saw my arm around Moni’s shoulders.
We chatted for a while before Vero and Flower headed out to the Diesel, leaving Moni and me with Karri.

“Ummm… excuse me for a minute, little girls room…” Moni excused herself and headed across the lobby.

“So, she seems really nice.” Karri said after we both watched her leave.

“Yah, she’s an old friend from back home-” I started, turning around to look back at Karri. She was brushing her hair off her shoulder; allowing me to catch a glimpse at her neck.

Her delicate neck. The soft pale skin was now turning black and blue from what I assumed was a cluster of hickies. The most surprising sight of all though, was the clear-set of teeth marks at the base of her neck; cutting through the skin.
I gaped at her neck with an opened mouth, not even caring if she saw me. I looked up at her face, realizing that she wasn’t paying any attention to me.
I turned around to see what she was looking at and saw Sid coming through the crowd, grinning at me.

It was one thing to try and stop our communication; it was another thing entirely to use her like a chew toy to prove a point. Karri was special; not a possession. I turned back to Sidney and shot him the dirtiest look I could muster; so if that’s how you wanna play Sid the Kid… no more Mr. Nice Talbot

7 comments:

  1. The scene on the plane was hilarious. Bad hands... oh man.

    "It was another thing entirely to use her like a chew toy to prove a point."

    The floodgates are opened.

    Fantastic, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update!! I can see that Moni may end of being a problem around there perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE me some feisty Talbot. this should get very, very interesting, very fast, and I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great update. And what about the title!... Grrrr...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I keep feisty Max? He's hot!

    HAha uhoh. Watch your back Siddo

    ReplyDelete
  6. loved this update cant wait to see max in the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Updateeeee? Please please please?
    Can't get enough of this story and it's been a while!

    ReplyDelete