Monday, August 24, 2009

Chapter 14: Going Home Alone

Max’s POV

I woke up groggy, trying to remember everything that had happened last night; which was not an easy task thanks to the killer headache I was suffering with. Alright, think Maxime, you were at Diesel with TK, Tanger and some of the other boys… then… I let out a sigh; who knows. I felt the bed shift beside me and looked over.
A blond girl was curled up next to me, fast asleep. Ohhh yah… that’s what happened. I laughed as the foggy memories started to resurface.

I had gone out in order to drink Karrington away… It didn’t working out so well though. I had spent the whole night trying to have a good time; I ended up just getting completely smashed. I had invited some girls up to the VIP and I had taken the blond one home with me. I couldn’t remember too much else besides that. I looked back over at the girl beside me; she was pretty, tanned, blond, big-boob’d - basically my type. It didn’t matter that she was even above average for what I usually took home with me; I felt disgusted with myself.
What is wrong with me?

I dragged my ass out of bed and took a shower; taking an extra long time in the hopes… ‘whats-her-face’ would leave before I came out. I felt awful, like I had somehow cheated on Karri or betrayed her trust, but that’s crazy. She’s not even thinking about you man… move on.
Easier said than done…



“Bonjour mes amis!” I yelled as I skated out onto the ice, completely late for practice. I skated over to Tanger and TK, slapping TK with my stick before jumping into our ‘man-gossip’ about last night.
Dan blew his whistle before I had a chance to finish telling the guys about the chick I had taken home with me; not happy with myself but, hey, gotta keep up the image.
Sid skated up behind me and I started to turn in order to include him in the conversation; maybe if he realizes I’m tappin girls he’ll back off…

“You’re late!” he spat at my back.

“Oh I know… but Sid… you should have seen her man! I wasn’t even looking for anything last night,” cause the one I’m looking for was with you, “and she was all over me… was she ever a looker!” Nothing like Karri but, seeing as how I can’t have that… TK and Tanger shot my grins, they saw her, they knew.

“What the hell is that suppose to mean?” He shot back, Okay… woah… what just happened.

“Umm… je na sais pas… what’s going on?” I held my hand out in front of me in a sign of peace. Before he could take a swing at me, which it looked like he wanted to, Fleury grabbed him and dragged him off the ice.

“Fuck was that about?” TK asked, watching Sid and Flower exit. I shrugged in response and shook my head; trying to hide my smile. Trouble in paradise, perhaps? God I'm kind of a dick...


Practice was over and everyone else was heading home. “Hey Flower, where’s Sid?”

Flower stopped getting ready and looked at me, motioning for me to go over with a nod of his head. “Please don’t do this Maxime… I know how you feel about Karri, but you can’t ever tell him. It’d ruin him.”

I was 99% sure that Flower had no idea how I felt about Karri but, he seemed to know how much it would hurt Sidney. I nodded at him, not like I’d be stupid enough to do that. “Hey Sidney… by the way, I think I’m in love with your girlfriend!”


I walked around looking for Sidney, I wasn’t sure what I was going to say but I needed to talk to him. Somehow I needed to figure out how to apologise to him, without explaining to him why. I wasn’t actually sure why myself; maybe because I was hoping he was going to loose the love of his life, maybe it was because I was spending my nights dreaming about his girlfriend… either way, I felt pretty crappy about it.

I saw him finally in the gym, killing himself on a bike. I was about to go in when my phone went off; Karri.

“Hey mon amie… everything ok?”

“No… well… nothing’s wrong I just, I don’t know where Sidney is. I’ve had a really stressful day and Vero said that Marc got home a while ago… I just really needed someone to talk to. Do you think maybe? Do you wanna hang out? If you’re not busy… I just don’t want to be alone right now and Sidney’s not answering his phone. I could really use a friend Max…”

“Ah… Karri listen. I actually am still at the rink… and you know what? I just saw Sidney here. I’ll send him home ok?”

“Oh! Thanks Max… I knew I could count on you!” I could hear the smile in her voice as I said goodbye.

What the hell did you just do?

The right thing…

Good cause sending home Mr. ‘I’m an idiot who has the greatest girl in the world but naw… just gonna spend my night alone in the gym’… is totally the right thing. I’d be a million times better to her.

Too bad she made her choice, and it’s not me…

My internal argument continued as I took a deep breath and stepped into the gym, towards Sidney. “Sid. Can we talk for a minute?”

“What do you want?” He asked not bothering to look up, well at least he’s calmed down.

For lack of anything better to say I began explaining myself. “Look man. Nothing happened. I wouldn’t do that… wait I did, yah ok… I kissed her that one time but, it wasn’t like that. I don't want to steal your girlfriend from you. I didn't sleep with her, and I'm not trying to.” I tried to sound like it wasn’t all a lie…

He told me to leave and I lost it at him. “You’re acting like a baby!” I ended up throwing out.

Uh oh… that did it. Sidney got off the bike and took a step towards me. “What the hell did you just say to me?”

"I've done nothing wrong and neither has she. But yet she gets all this shit from the other girlfriends, the media... she just wants someone to rely on and you just... you just care about yourself. She had the worse night of her life the other day, and you should be there with her but you're not. Practice ended over an hour ago and you're still here. That's no way to treat someone you say you love."

"And what do you know about love?" He snapped, taking a few more steps towards me. "You're gonna stand there and try to tell me how to love a woman, you; Max Talbot." He sneered my name. "The only thing you know how to do is pick up and dump." He slammed his shoulder into me as he walked past.

"Why are you so mad at me? I told you I didn't do anything!" I yelled at him, trying to keep my temper under control. He had everything and he didn’t even care. I bawled my hands into fists at my side. What the hell is wrong with him anyway? I thought over the past couple days and tried to figure out what could have happened to make him act like this… "Oh... you're pissed because she came to me." I shook my head and looked down at the ground, the truth finally dawning on me. I couldn‘t help it anymore. I started to laugh. "Oh Sidney, what kind of mess are we in?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." He replied slowly, I could see rage burning in his eyes as he spoke.

I looked at him, right in the eyes. "You're upset because Karri went to me when she had no where else to go... and I'm upset, because no matter what happens she'll always go back to you." Those words had a profound impact on him and I knew I was right. Those words cut me deeper.

This time it was my turn to walk past Sidney. I didn’t stop, continuing on out the gym doors; eventually arriving at the parking lot and hopping into my Jeep.
I sped home, trying to figure out what this girl was doing to me. I tryed not to remember that if I had of taken her up on her offer, I could be with her now, instead of alone.

4 comments:

  1. You're a good man, Max Talbot.

    SO GOOD ZIGH! sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GEEEEESUSUSUSUSUSUSUSU THAT WAS GREAT:)
    love this story

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww poor max, im so glad he did the right thing but it really sux for him=[

    good chapter, update soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maaaaaaaxxxx. He's such a good guy :D Seriously, throw a nice girl his way soon and hopefully Karri is a little bit more self-aware and wises up to his feelings.

    Great chapter!

    ReplyDelete